Proper aftercare is the only way to guarantee great results. Rethink promises to use the best laser technology and custom protocols delivered by our team of expert laser technicians. However, it is your responsibility to care for your skin outside of our practice. Proper aftercare is essential in preventing infection and unwanted side effects from forming. All patients will receive thorough aftercare instructions after their treatment. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when taking care of your skin:
- Keep the treated area dry and clean after each treatment. Gently wash the treatment area with soap and water, then pat to dry. Apply antibiotic ointment onto the treated area and cover with a sterile bandage.
- Avoid any soaking of the treated area. Patients may shower if the treated area is not directly under high-pressure water. Pools, lakes, baths, hot tubs, and other soaking activities should be avoided altogether.
- Some patients may form scabs and blisters. These are positive signs that your body is reacting well to the laser treatment and is working to remove the ink from your skin. The best way to deal with scabs and blisters is to leave them alone. Picking or popping any scabs and blisters prematurely in their healing process can lead to infection and more serious unwanted side effects.
- To relieve itchiness or discomfort, patients can apply Aquaphor or Vitamin E ointment onto the treated area.
- Patients can take Tylenol to relieve any inflammation. Do not take aspirin as this can increase bruising and bleeding risks.
- Patients should avoid direct sun exposure to the treated area. Excessive sun exposure following a laser treatment can increase the risks of pigmentation changes. Apply a sunblock of SPF 25 or higher once the treated area has completely healed.